|RHP Kyle Kendrick |
(1-2, 5.59 ERA)
|RHP Matt Morris |
(0-3, 9.15 ERA)
|Game Time||7:05 ET|
Winning pitcher - Tom Gordon (2-2)
Losing pitcher - Zach Duke (0-2)
SV - Brad Lidge (6)
HR: PHI - J. Werth (5)
HR: PIT - J. Bay (5)
- Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward was a high school outfielder taken in the 73rd round of the 1994 First Year Player Draft. The 2006 Super Bowl MVP did not sign and went on to become a star football player at the University of Georgia.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates are the only team in the Majors to have recorded at least one double in each of their first 23 games.
- On June 7th, the Pirates will be collecting monetary and gently used or new baseball equipment for the Baseball Tomorrow Fund. All 30 MLB teams will take part in the collection. Participating Clubs will collect the new and gently used equipment and monetary donations at their ballparks prior to selected home game and donate them to a local youth baseball or softball organization chosen by the Club. As part of the BTF/MLB Equipment Day initiative, the Baseball Tomorrow Fund also awards a $5,000 grant to a youth baseball or softball organization in each participating market during special pre-game ceremonies.
- John Grabow has yet to allow a run in his 13 appearances (12.0ip) while holding right-handed hitters to five hits in 301at bats (.161) and lefties to two hits in 14 at bats (.143).
- The Pirates (6-for-6) and Reds (2-for-2) are the only two teams in the Major Leagues without a blown save this season.
- Xavier Nady extended his career-high hitting streak to 13 games Friday night; he has gone 19-for-50 (.380) with six multi-hit contests during the streak.
- Xavier Nady has tallied eight RBI in the last five games and is currently second among National League players with 23 RBI.
- The last Pittsburgh player with as many RBI in March/April was Jeff King, who had 23 in 1996.
- Willie Stargell recorded 27 RBI in the first month of the 1971 season.
- Infielder Jack Wilson 15-Day (strained left calf; eligible for reinstatement on 4/19), sidelined since April 4 with an injured left calf, is currently in Bradenton, Florida, on rehab.
- Outfielder Chris Duffy 15-Day (rehabbing from left shoulder surgery).
Saturday vs. Philadelphia 7:05 RHP Kyle Kendrick (1-2, 5.59 ERA) vs. RHP Matt Morris (0-3, 9.15 ERA) FSNP
Sunday vs. Philadelphia 1:35 RHP Brett Myers (2-1, 4.78 ERA) vs. LHP Paul Maholm (1-2, 4.22 ERA) FSNP
Monday at New York 7:10 RHP Ian Snell (2-1, 4.45 ERA) vs. LHP Johan Santana (3-2, 3.12 ERA) FSNP
Tuesday at New York 7:10 LHP Tom Gorzelanny (1-3, 8.46 ERA) vs. LHP Oliver Perez (2-1, 3.62 ERA) NO TV
Wednesday at New York 1:10 LHP Zach Duke (0-2, 5.34 ERA) vs. RHP Mike Pelfrey (2-1, 4.43 ERA) NO TV
Visit the BTW Forum to discuss this post.Register for the forum here: