HOUSTON ASTROS (9-11) vs. PITTSBURGH PIRATES (9-10)
APRIL 26, 2007 AT PNC PARK --- GAME #20, HOME #7
LHP WANDY RODRIGUEZ (0-1, 2.77 ERA) vs. RHP TONY ARMAS (0-2, 18.90 ERA)
12:35 EDT No TV
28-year-old left-hander is making his fourth start of the
2007 season and 50th Major League start...marks his second start on
the road in 2007...seeking his first win since defeating the Rangers on
7/2/06 at TEX...trying to snap a career-high, seven-game losing streak
• received his seventh consecutive loss on 4/21 at MIL, allowing a season-
high six runs off nine hits in 6.0 innings...his seven strikeouts in
the game tied his career-high.
• tied for eighth among all National League left-handed starters with
17 strikeouts in 2007.
• has recorded quality starts in two of his three starts this season...was
the starting pitcher in the game that started the Astros current fivegame
winning streak on 4/16 vs. FLA...received a no-decision despite
allowing one run in 6.0 innings.
• received the loss in his first start of 2007 on 4/6 vs. STL after allowing
three runs with five strikeouts in 7.0 innings.
• owns a 19-22 career record with a 5.53 ERA (174ER/283.1IP) in 58 career
outings (49 starts).
facing the Pirates for the first time since allowing five runs off eight
hits in 5.1 innings on 8/24/06 at PIT...is 2-1 with a 4.30 ERA (11ER/23IP)
and 21 strikeouts in four career starts against PIT.
• is 1-1 with a 5.29 ERA (10ER/17IP) and 17 strikeouts in three games at
APRIL (0-2, 4.74 in 2007; 4-2, 3.35 career): received his second loss of the season,
allowing six runs off nine hits in 6.0 innings on 4/21 at MIL...recorded
his second consecutive quality start on 4/16 vs. FLA...received a nodecision,
allowing one run in 6.0 innings...tagged with the loss in his
first start on 4/6 vs. STL...allowed three runs in 7.0 innings.
IN 2006: led the 2006 Astros pitching staff with nine wins prior to the All-
Star break, the most since Roy Oswalt recorded 12 wins before the
break in 2005...was 9-6 with a 5.07 ERA (62ER/110IP) in 19 games (all
starts) in the first half of 2006.
• was one of 11 National League left-handers with at least nine wins
in 2006...tied for ninth among NL left-handers with 19 wins since the
start of 2005.
• since his first start on May 23, 2005, his 19 wins rank tied (Duke, PIT
and Lowry, SF) for 18th among MLB left-handers.
• Houston won his first five starts of the 2006 season (5-0 from April
5-26), and he posted a career-best, four-game winning streak during
that span...owns a 2.60 ERA (13ER/45IP) with 31 strikeouts in seven
career games in April, the lowest ERA of his career for any month.
RODRIGUEZ CAREER NOTES:
made his Major League debut in a start on May
23, 2005 at Wrigley Field...earned his first Major League victory on
May 28, 2005 at Milwaukee, allowing nine hits and four runs in 6.0
innings...went 10-10 in his rookie campaign, striking out 80 hitters
while walking 53.
• the Astros are 24-24 in his 48 career starts...has a career run support
average of 6.08.
• his 10 wins in 2005 were the most for an Astros rookie since Jeriome
Robertson’s 15 in 2003.
• is a product of the Astros Dominican Academy.