The Pirates take on the Devil Rays at 1:05. Tom Gorzelanny is the scheduled starter for the Pirates against Jamie Shields (RH). Marty McLeary, Jim Brower and Jonah Bayliss are also expected to pitch.
The Pirates played a day/night split squad doubleheader against the Reds. In the first game the Pirates had 20 hits and won the day game 13-1. Paul Maholm tossed 4 2/3 scoreless innings. Michael Ryan was 3 for 5 with three runs scored. Jose Bautista was 2 for 4 with three RBI. Humberto Cota hit a three-run homer.
In game two, the Pirates lost 3-2. Shawn Chacon started and allowed one run in 3 2/3 innings. Sean Burnett pitched 4.0 scoreless innings. Damaso Marte gave up two runs in the 9th to take the loss. Ronny Paulino was 3 for 3 with a two-run triple in the 1st inning. Andrew McCutchen and Brian Bixler had two hits each.
Gorzelanny is making his second start and fourth appearance of the spring today. He has a 14.21 ERA in his first three outings. Gorzelanny went 3 innings allowing 6 hits and 4 earned runs in his first start on 3/11 at Reds. He walked five batters and surrendered five earned runs while pitching 1 1/3 innings vs. Phillies on 3/6. Gorzelanny allowed two hits and a run in 2 innings vs. Reds on 3/1.
The Pirates are scheduled to host the Twins at 1:05. Tony Armas Jr. is scheduled to start for the Pirates against Boof Bonser (RHP). Josh Sharpless and Masumi Kuwata are also expected to pitch. The game will be televised on FSN Pittsburgh.
- The Pirates totaled 31 hits in their day/night doubleheader against the Reds yesterday and are now hitting .307 this spring - the highest average among the Grapefruit League teams and sixth-highest among all major league teams.
- Jason Bay has six hits in his last 14 at bats.
- Brian Bixler has reached base safely in nine of his 10 games.
- Jose Castillo has played five games at third base and two at second base.
- Einar Diaz has three straight hits and has gone 7-for-12 this spring.
- Ryan Doumit has reached base safely in seven of his last nine plate appearances.
- Brad Eldred homered four times in his first 12 plate appearances and has gone 11-for-31 (.355) in 12 games this spring.
- Jose Hernandez has five hits in his last nine at bats.
- Adam LaRoche has seven hits in his last 16 at bats.
- Ronny Paulino has homered twice in his last 10 at bats and has collected 10 hits in his last 14 trips to the plate.
- Neil Walker has reached base safely seven times in his last 11 plate appearances, which includes two home runs in his last five at bats.
- Jim Brower has made two scoreless appearances (2 2/3 ip).