The Pirates meet Blue Jays at 1:05. Tony Armas Jr. and Roy Halladay (RH) are scheduled to start. Masumi Kuwata, John Wasdin, Salomon Torres, Matt Capps and Jonah Bayliss are also scheduled for some mound work.
The Pirates lost 7-3 to the Matsusaka and the Red Sox. Tom Gorelanny surrendered two hits while walking five and was charged with four runs in 4 2/3 innings. Juan Perez worked a scoreless inning, striking out two of the three battes he faced. Ronny Paulino hit a solo home run, giving him the team lead with 10 RBI this spring.
TONY ARMAS JR:
Armas is making his fifth appearance and fourth start of the spring. He has a 3.95 ERA in his first four outings. Last outing he went 4 2/3 innings allowing 7 hits and 4 earned runs while striking out 13 and walking 1 against the Tribe.
The Pirates host the Yankees at 1:05. Shawn Chacon and Darrell Rasner (RHP) are scheduled to start. Shane Youman and Josh Sharpless are also scheduled to pitch. Zach Duke is scheduled to pitch in a minor league game tomorrow.
- Jose Castillo has started eight games at third base and four at second base, mostly due to the Sanchez injury.
- Castillo has a seven-game hitting streak.
- Einar Diaz has three hits in his last five at bats, he has gone 7 for 14 this spring.
- Ryan Doumit has reached base safely nine times in his last 17 plate appearances.
- Adam LaRoche hit his first home run of the spring on Tuesday and has nine hits in his last 26 at bats.
- Ronny Paulino has collected 17 hits in his last 26 at bats (.654) and is hitting .500 (17 for 34) with a team leading 10 RBI.
- Michael Ryan has played in a team-high tying 17 games and is hitting .415 with a team leading 13 runs and six doubles.
- Freddy Sanchez has not played in a Grapefruit League game since suffering a sprained right knee while turning a doubleplay on 3/6.
- Jack Wilson has six hits in his last nine at bats and has reached base safely seven times in his last 10 plate appearances.
- Masumi Kuwata is making his first road of the spring.
- John Wasdin has been scored upon just once in his four appearances, 6 innings allowing 1 run.