The Pirates visit the Phillies, in Clearwater, for a 1:05 game. Ian Snell goes against Adam Eaton (RH). Dan Kolb, Damaso Marte, Marty McLeary and Salomon Torres are on the bullpen schedule to pitch.
The Pirates lost 8-1 to the Yankees. Zach Duke went 3 2/3 allowing 7 runs including a Grand Slam to Giambi in the 3rd. Duke had a good first 3 innings before allowing the 7 run 3rd. Juan Perez struck out two of the four batters he faced. Jose Castillo knocked in the only run. Michael Ryan reached base safely in two of his three plate appearances and scored the only run.
Snell is making his third start (fifth appearance) of the spring. He has not allowed a run in three of his four appearances. In his last outing Snell threw three scoreless innings while striking out four in a relief appearance March 14th against the Red Sox.
Snells 14 wins in 2006 were the most by a Delaware Major League righthander since Millsboro’s Huck Betts won 17 games for the Boston Braves in 1934.
The Pirates host the Tigers for a 1:05 game. Paul Maholm is scheduled to meet Justin Verlander (RHP).
- The Pirates are hitting .302 this spring, highest average in the Grapefruit League.
- Jose Bautista has gone 7 for 19 with three doubles and seven RBI in his last six games.
- Jose Castillo has played seven games at third base and three at second base.
- Castillo has a five-game hitting streak.
- Einar Diaz has three hits in his last five at bats going 7 for 15 this spring.
- Ryan Doumit has reached base safely in nine of his last 13 plate appearances.
- Brad Eldred homered four times in his first 12 plate appearances and has gone 13 for 34 (.382) in 14 games this spring.
- Jose Hernandez has five hits in his last 12 at bats.
- Don Kelly has five hits in his last 12 at bats and a four-game hitting streak.
- Adam LaRoche has seven hits in his last 22 at bats.
- Ronny Paulino has collected 14 hits in his last 20 trips to the plate.
- Michael Ryan has played in a team-high 16 games and is hitting .425 with a team-leading six doubles and team-high (tied) eight RBI.
- Neil Walker has reached base safely nine times in his last 17 plate appearances, which includes two home runs in his last 11 at bats.
- Dan Kolb has gone 1-0 with a 0.00 ERA in his five appearances, 5.1 IP.
- Josh Sharpless has not allowed a run in his last four outings, 4.0 IP.