Welcome back Geek. It has been too long since we last heard from you. Mr. Geek tackles the idea of making the Pirates lineup top heavy.
I felt the same way about the lineup. The lineup mentioned is what first popped in my head when I heard LaRoche was acquired.
Birth of Armas-mania
In the Post-Gazette, Dejan reports the Pirates may be interested in Tony Armas Jr. He also rules out Weaver and Park.
The reason the Pirates bowed out of Ohka-mania was his change in philosophy to a 1-year deal. Apparently the Pirates only wanted him for two years. Ohka's agent said the Pirates were "first class through all of this."
The following notes were also reported:
- The Pirates have expressed interest in Luis Matos.
- The AP in Chicago reporting Pirates interest in Cliff Floyd.
- LaRoche will participate in the first two days of PirateFest. Autograph session is Saturday 4:30-6:00.
- The Pirates signed minor league outfielder Aron Weston.
- Lawrence signed a 1 year deal for $500K with a club option with $250K buyout.
Seeing Lawrence signed for so little in this market, makes me wonder what he turned down to avoid joining the Pirates?
Armas is not a bad option, IF he stays healthy. Not that there are a lot of other options.
If nothing else, the Pirates are "first class" losers in the Ohka derby.