With seemingly less chance now of a Mike Gonzalez deal, the Yankees reportedly have interest in acquiring George Sherrill from the Mariners.If the deal happens, possibly as part of a bigger deal including Randy Johnson, the market for Gonzo is drying up.Sherrill wouldn't cost Melky Cabrera, but it's not like he'd come particularly cheap. The 29-year-old has struck out a batter an inning while posting a 4.35 ERA in 122 relief appearances over the last three years.Source: Bergen Record
Since Dave Littleclue has his sights set on LaRoche, nothing will likely sway him from his target. I would guess LaRoche will join the Pirates sometime in 2009 or 2010. Littleclue always gets his man, it only took 3 years to land Nady.
Looking into my crystal baseball:
- Gonzalez will start the season as the Pirates closer.
- Lefty McThump will not be traded for and will only be found on the DL wish list.
- Aubrey Huff will select a better team to sign with, unless the Pirates make an offer of at least a million a year more than any other team.
Here is an idea DL could steal if he likes...mind you this is not a rumor, just based on rumors already in the mill.
Atlanta is shopping Tim Hudson around. Make an offer to Atlanta of Castillo, Duffy and Gonzo for Hudson and LaRoche. I am sure the Braves will want more in return, hopefully just some minor leaguers. Maybe they have a need for minor league middle releivers? Luckily we have that market cornered.
Why would this work for Atlanta?
- Leadoff hitter and CF of the future in Duffy, replace Andrew Jones.
- Second baseman they are looking for in Castillo.
- Closer in Gonzo.
- The ability to trade Jones for prospects and players and reduce salary. Ya know, Financial Flexibility. (John Schuerholz has spent too much time with DL and has caught the Stupid.)
- Lefty McThump, Welcome to Pittsburgh.
- Right handed starter that anchors the team for less than FA money. Hudsons contract expires in 2009, good timing.
- Bautista/McLouth in CF
- Nady/Doumit/Gerut in RF
- Sanchez to 2B
- Need to sign Huff for 3B (ACK!)